5 Networking Mistakes That Are Making You Look BadDec 27, 2021
Networking is like a game. You're not going to win if you don't know the rules. And, if you don't follow them, you'll likely end up looking bad. That's why we've compiled this list of the top five networking mistakes that are making you look bad and how to avoid them!
- Don't forget to "follow through." Lack of follow-through is one of the most important parts of networking, but it's also where many people mess up! Remember, it's following through, not following up.
- Being too aggressive. This is one of the most common mistakes people make. They see someone they want to talk to, and they go in for the kill. We call this "Commission Breath" because you are chasing away the person you are meeting with.
- Don't be like Toby Keith's song "I Wanna Talk About Me." Ask open-ended questions to get more information about people you are networking with. We recommend using the FORM process to learn more about the other person.
- Not knowing what you want in a networking situation. "What do you want? What do you want?!?" - Not having a goal for your networking session is a very common mistake in networking. Not knowing why you are talking to someone makes it very hard to.
- Being late to meetings or events. Being on time is one of the essential aspects of networking, and being late makes you look disinterested in the event or meeting.
It's not a surprise that people make mistakes when they're out networking. Whether it's forgetting to extend their hand, oversharing too much information, or forgetting the person's name. But these five common faux pas are particularly damaging, and if you don't want to come off as rude, aloof, or pushy, here are some tips for avoiding them! What is your biggest pet peeve?
Let us know in the comments below to help you avoid making this mistake at all costs next time around.
Until next time, Always be connecting.
We very much appreciate your reading our most recent blog article! We hope that you found value in it and were able to pull something of value from it that will you you on your journey to building a By Referral business.
Click the link below to see a list of our upcoming classes.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.